Questions About the College of CDSS
The College of Computing, Data Science, and Society (CDSS) has been established and the Data Science undergraduate major will be transferring from the College of Letters & Science (L&S) to CDSS. For more information, please see the CDSS Undergraduate FAQs.
Questions about Spring 2024 Enrollment
Questions About Fall 2023 Admission/Major Declaration Policies
Who can I contact to ask questions about Data Science?
- For questions about the major and minor or taking a Data Science class, the Data Science advising team is here to help! Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For questions about enrolling in classes outside of Data Science, please contact the department offering the course.
- Any interested students are also encouraged to join our online Q&A forum on Ed Discussions and join our email list-serve (you must be logged into your UC Berkeley CalNet account to join).
Data Science Major
How and when can I declare the L&S Data Science major?
- For students admitted prior to Fall 2023: You can declare the Data Science major by submitting an application at the end of the term when you will complete the 6 prerequisite courses. See more details on the Declaring the Major page.
- For first-year students admitted in or after Fall 2023: Please see the L&S High-Demand Major policy.
- For transfer students admitted in or after Fall 2023: Please see our Fall 2023 FAQ for new transfer admits.
Do you accept AP or IB credit for the major?
- The Data Science BA accepts Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate and A-Level exam credit for the calculus requirements, per the UC Berkeley Math department guidelines.
- We do not accept AP or other high school exam credit toward any other requirements in the major besides calculus, including the Domain Emphasis.
Is the Data Science major a B.A. or B.S.?
The Data Science degree awards a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.).
Can I use a course to meet 2 requirements in the major (for example, Econ 140 for the Computational & Inferential Depth requirement and the Economics domain emphasis)?
- No, a single course may not be used to fulfill more than 1 requirement in the major.
I've advanced beyond Data 8. Are there any other ways to meet the Data 8 requirement for the major?
- Stat 20 taken in Fall 2023 or earlier, and combined with CS 61A or CS 88/Data C88C, may substitute for Data C8. Stat 20 may not be combined with Engin 7 to substitute for Data C8.
- For students admitted prior to Fall 2018, we allow a "grandfathered" option to substitute for Data 8 if completed no later than Spring 2019: Stat 20, 21, 131A, or 135 + CS 61A or ENGIN 7.
I'm interested in doing the EdX course, Data 8X, online. Will this satisfy the Data 8 requirement for the major?
No, unfortunately Data 8X doesn't have all the content of Data 8, and does not transfer academic credit.
Will I be able to double major?
Yes, in line with UC Berkeley’s usual double major policies, detailed here. For students admitted in Fall 2023 or later, please consult with the L&S College Advising office.
I already completed one or more of the courses for the major on a Pass/Not Pass basis. Will they be accepted?
- Due to academic implications of the strike in Fall 2022, courses completed with a Pass in Fall 2022 are acceptable for major requirements.
- Per L&S policy, due to academic implications of the Covid-19 pandemic, courses completed with a Pass in Spring 2020, Fall 2020, Spring 2021 and Summer 2021 are acceptable for major requirements.
- In order to accommodate students who took major requirements P/NP prior to the approval of the major in Fall 2018, we will accept grades of "Passed" for courses taken to satisfy the lower-division prerequisites needed to declare when completed in Summer 2018 or earlier. No petition process is necessary, and a "Passed" grade will be considered a "C-" for GPA calculation for eligibility purposes. Students will still need to ensure they meet the 2.0 GPA in Data 8, Linear Algebra, and Data Structures to declare the major. Courses taken P/NP after Summer 2018 will not be accepted.
What kind of priority (if any) will Data Science majors receive for enrollment in classes for the domain emphases?
There is no intent to provide enrollment priority to Data Science majors for any specific domain emphasis classes. The domains are designed to include many classes, drawing from multiple departments, so students should have many opportunities to complete two upper division courses.
Can I change my Domain Emphasis after I declare?
Yes, students may request to change their Domain Emphasis through the same application form used to apply to declare the major, by submitting an updated Data Science BA worksheet.