Based on changes to L&S policy, courses completed at UC Berkeley with a grade of Pass in FALL 2022 will count toward Data Science major requirements, including prerequisites to declare the major. See the L&S Fall 2022 Late Grading Option Change Modification for more information.
Courses taken P/NP in Fall 2022 are not currently counting on your Academic Progress Report toward Data Science major and minor requirements. We are working with campus on updating this and hope to have APRs corrected later in Spring semester. In the meantime, you do not need to notify us that you elected P/NP for a major or minor class in Fall 2022 - this will be automatically updated for all declared students.
Additionally, courses completed at UC Berkeley with a grade of Pass in Spring 2020, Fall 2020, Spring 2021 and Summer 2021 will count toward Data Science major requirements, including prerequisites to declare the major. Please see the L&S P/NP policy modifications for more information.
- All courses toward the major must be completed for a letter grade and passed with a 'C-' or higher.
See Declaring the Major for more information.
|Requirement||Preferred Track||Alternate Course Options|
|Foundations of Data Science||Data C8 (also listed as CompSci/Stat/Info C8)||See note below regarding Data C8 substitutions.|
|Calculus I||Math 1A or N1A or approved high school exam credit*||Math 10A or 16A|
|Calculus II||Math 1B or N1B or approved high school exam credit*|
Math 54/N54/W54 or
Stat 89A (4 units) or
Math 91 - Linear Algebra (offered in F22 only)
|EE/EECS 16A and 16B (both required), or Physics 89|
|Program Structures||CompSci 61A or CompSci/Data C88C||Engin 7|
|Data Structures||CompSci 61B or CompSci 61BL|
|Domain Emphasis||1 lower-division course from approved list|
*The Data Science BA accepts Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate and A-Level exam credit for the calculus requirements only, per the UC Berkeley Math department guidelines. Exam credit is not accepted for the Domain Emphasis or other major requirements.
Data 8 Substitutions:
- All Students Through Spring 2023: Students may substitute Statistics 20, if completed by the end of Spring 2023, for Data 8 toward the Data Science major or minor. This option is only available for students who completed or will complete CS 61A or CS 88/Data C88C for the Program Structures requirement; it is not available for students who take Engin 7 for their Program Structures requirement. Students who took Stat 20 during Summer 2021, Fall 2021 or Spring 2022 should submit a petition; for all other terms, no petition is required.
- Continuing Students Through Spring 2019: When the Data Science BA was first approved, the faculty approved a substitution option for continuing students to substitute for Data 8 by completing CompSci 61A and one from Stat 20, 21, W21, 131A or 135. This substitution option for Data 8 applies only to courses completed by Spring 2019. First year students admitted to UC Berkeley in or after Fall 2018 are not eligible to use this option.
We accept linear algebra without differential equations from California community colleges in all cases where the course is included in a Math 54 articulation agreement. Linear algebra courses from non-California community colleges may be considered by individual petition.
Courses taken P/NP:
- Prerequisite courses taken on a P/NP basis before Fall 2018 will be accepted. Grades of ‘P’ earned will be evaluated as ‘C-’ for GPA calculation purposes. Courses taken on a P/NP basis after Summer 2018 will not be accepted.
- Based on changes to L&S policy, courses completed at UC Berkeley with a grade of Pass in Spring 2020, Fall 2020, Spring 2021 and Summer 2021 will count toward Data Science major requirements, including prerequisites to declare the major. Please see the L&S P/NP policy modifications for more information.