Requirements for Ph.D. Students
The basic requirements of the DE-CDSE are as follows:
1. Students must apply to add the DE-CDSE before taking their qualifying exam.
2. Submit a complete online application.
3. Student's current major's Official Graduate Advisor Chair must initiate "Graduate Petition for Change of Major or Degree Goal" Electronic Form (eform) in calcentral.berkeley.edu.
4. The "Graduate Petition for Change of Major or Degree Goal" Electronic Form (eform) must be approved by both the chair of the DE-CDSE and also the chair of your department (two approvals).
- Please note that this (eform) is separate from your Qualifying Examination (eform), which is handled by your department.
5. Students must have training in the following three CDSE components (see courses below):
- 1 graduate course in applied math/numerical analysis or statistics/data analysis (Category 1)
- 1 graduate course in high-performance computing (Category 2)
- 1 graduate course in an application area that utilizes the above tools in a significant way (Category 3)
6. At least one member of the DE-CDSE faculty must be on the dissertation committee.
7. Students must have a DE-CDSE component in their qualifying exam, with a DE-CDSE faculty member on the exam committee.