Students enrolled in Foundations of Data Science (CS / Info / Statistics C8) or connector courses at Berkeley can now borrow laptop computers from the Library for the entire semester. The loan program, which began at the start of the Fall 2016 semester, is designed to support students who do not have adequate portable computing of their own. It is sponsored by the Data Science Planning Initiative with generous support from Intel and individual donors.
The 25 Toshiba Chromebooks are available at the Moffitt Library Circulation Desk. The devices can be borrowed for the semester and are to be returned to the library by December 9. Short-term loans of laptops are also available to all students at Berkeley through the Library. For more information go to www.lib.berkeley.edu/using-the-libraries/laptop-lending.
Students who want to check availability of a device in the Data Science Chromebook Extended Loan Program should:
- Go to www.lib.berkeley.edu
- Click on the "Course Reserve" link, which is located under the banner "Start Your Search" to access the course reserves page
- Click on the link "Find course reserves in OskiCat" and enter the course name and number in the search box (e.g. CS C8 or Computer Science C8) or instructor name (last name, first name).
- Items available to borrow will show status "Available" after the call number in the course record.
- Present the call number information to the staff at the Moffitt Library circulation desk. Proof of course registration is required in order to borrow device.
For more information, please contact Mark Marrow, Head, Access Services Division at the Library; he can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 510.250.7870