We offer a diverse range of opportunities for undergraduates interested in exploring the fast-growing field of data science.
The data science major incorporates technical foundations and the study of human contexts and ethics, along with more than two dozen domain emphases, or areas of application. The new data science minor features a flexible design to serve students from a range of majors.
Undergraduates also can explore related topics through the departments of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences(link is external) and Statistics(link is external), as well as through data science offerings such as Modules, Discovery, and Connectors.
Data 8: Foundations of Data Science provides an introduction to students from any major. It is designed specifically for students who have not previously taken statistics or computer science courses.
Key Features of the Data Science Education Program:
- Depth: Our program draws on the University’s world leading scholars in computer science, statistics, and a range of other disciplines.
- Integration: We offer data science curricula in the context of courses spanning the humanities and social and natural sciences, mirroring the cross-cutting nature of data science.
- Impact: Students and researchers tackle real-world problems and grapple with the societal, human, and political ramifications of data science.
- Engagement: Hundreds of students every semester engage as full partners in curriculum design, research, advising, and communications.
- Leadership: We provide resources on our curriculum and educational approach to educational institutions around the world through workshops, open source materials, and other collaborations.