Executive Vice Chancellor & Provost Paul Alivisatos sent the following announcement regarding the search for the Associate Provost of Data Science and Information and Dean of the School of Information.
I am writing to invite your input on the search for the position of Associate Provost of Data Science and Information and Dean of the School of Information.
A few weeks ago, Chancellor Christ and I announced the creation of the interdisciplinary Division of Data Science and Information. We have recently launched the search for the Associate Provost of Data Science and Information and Dean of the School of Information, who will lead this new division. The Associate Provost and Dean will take over from School of Information Dean, Anno Saxenian, and the inaugural and interim Dean of the Division of Data Science, David Culler. I would like to thank both of them again for their remarkable achievements and exemplary leadership.
As the chair of the search committee, I am very pleased to introduce the search committee members to you:
- Paul Alivisatos, Executive Vice Chancellor & Provost (committee chair)
- Josh Bloom, Professor, AstronomyJosh Goldstein, Professor, Demography
- Abigail De Kosnik, Associate Professor, Theater, Dance & Performance Studies, and the Berkeley Center for New Media
- Leti Light, Executive Director of Strategic Initiatives, University Development and Alumni Relations
- Jeff MacKie-Mason, University Librarian and Chief Digital Scholarship Officer, and Professor, School of Information
- Alyssa Morrow, Graduate Student, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
- Deirdre Mulligan, Associate Professor, School of Information
- Scott Shenker, Professor, Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
- Bin Yu, Professor, Statistics and Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Additionally, I have selected the search firm Witt/Kieffer to assist the committee with the search process.
Over the next few months, we will be engaging with a broad community of stakeholders like you to hear your thoughts on the opportunities, priorities, and challenges to be addressed by the new Associate Provost and Dean, as well as the qualities and characteristics needed for them to be successful in the position. We are gathering input in two phases -- first, through a survey to launch the recruitment, and second, through open forums to inform the search process going forward. You can also contact any of the committee members to provide additional input or to recommend potential candidates. It is absolutely critical for us to have your input at this stage of the process.
I encourage you to take a few minutes to complete this confidential survey by Friday, December 14th. The survey will take approximately 5-15 minutes.
Search consultants from Witt/Kieffer will be visiting campus on Monday, January 28th to meet with faculty, staff, and students about this new role. Please hold the date to participate in these meetings and we will share the meeting schedule with you once it has been finalized. In addition to soliciting your input, our search consultants will leave time to answer questions you may have about the process or other aspects of the search.
On behalf of the search committee, thank you in advance for taking the time to provide your input. We expect to send out a formal call for nominations out to campus in January, and we encourage you to nominate outstanding candidates from within and beyond the Berkeley community.
A. Paul Alivisatos
Executive Vice Chancellor & Provost