The Applied Mathematics and Modeling domain emphasis gives students the opportunity to explore mathematical techniques essential to data science and mathematical modeling. Apart from gaining core competencies in advanced calculus and linear algebra, students can learn numerical approximation and optimal decision methods, as well as gain experience in their implementation in parallel programming.
From the lists shown below, students will select one course from the lower-division, and two courses from the upper-division. The lower division course is a required element of the Domain Emphasis.
Courses in this domain emphasis are often restricted by major to enroll, and several have extensive prerequisites. It may be difficult to complete this emphasis given these restrictions. Students are advised to make appropriate alternate plans.
Prerequisites are shown within square brackets. The Honors versions of these courses (where applicable) will also be accepted.
Lower Division (select one)
- MATH 53. Multivariable Calculus (4 units)
- MATH 55. Discrete Mathematics (4 units)
Upper Division (select two)
- CIVENG C133/MECENG C180. Engineering Analysis Using the Finite Element Method (3 units) [Prerequisites: MATH 53, MATH 54, COMPSCI 61A]
- EECS 127. Optimization Models in Engineering (4 units) [Prerequisites: EL ENG/EECS 16A+16B]
- ENGIN 150. Basic Modelling and Simulation Tools for Industrial Research Applications (3 units) [Prerequisites: ENGIN 7 or COMPSCI 61A, PHYSICS 7A, MATH 53, MATH 54]
- IND ENG 160. Nonlinear and Discrete Optimization (3 units) [Prerequisites: MATH 53, MATH 54]
- IND ENG 162. Linear Programming and Network Flows (3 units) [Prerequisites: MATH 53, MATH 54]
- MATH 104. Introduction to Analysis (4 units) [Prerequisites: MATH 53, MATH 54, MATH 55 or equivalent]
- MATH 110. Linear Algebra (4 units) [Prerequisite: MATH 54 or equivalent]
- MATH 113. Intro to Abstract Algebra (4 units) [Prerequisites: MATH 54, MATH 55 or equivalent]
- MATH 118. Fourier Analysis, Wavelets, and Signal Processing (4 units) [Prerequisites: MATH 53, MATH 54]
- MATH 128A. Numerical Analysis (4 units) [Prerequisites: MATH 53, MATH 54]
- COMPSCI C267/ENGIN C233. Applications of Parallel Computers (3 units)
We recognize in general that to satisfy the prerequisites for these courses below, a student will have already satisfied the Domain Emphasis. Because these courses are natural to include in this emphasis, they will function as an elective for many students who take them. They are included here merely for those students who get to these courses from nontraditional paths, for whom these courses should count towards the DE.
MATH 128B. Numerical Analysis (4 units) [MATH 110, 128A]
Unit values and prerequisites are subject to change. Please refer to guide.berkeley.edu for the most up-to-date course information.