The Minor in Data Science at UC Berkeley aims to provide students with practical knowledge of the methods and techniques of data analysis, as well as the ability to think critically about the construction and implications of data analysis and models. The minor will empower students across the wide array of campus disciplines with a working knowledge of statistics, probability, and computation that allow students not just to participate in data science projects, but to design and carry out rigorous computational and inferential analysis for their field of interest.
Requirements for the Data Science Minor
|Lower Division Requirements|
|1.||Foundations||Data 8 (CS/Stat/Info C8)|
|2.||Programming||CS 88 or CS 61A or ENGIN 7|
Math 10B or Stat 88 or CS 70 or Math 55
(Students may choose to substitute Stat 134, Stat 140, IND ENG 172, or EECS 126)
|Upper Division Requirements|
|Data 100 Pathway||
|1.||Gateway||Data 100 (CS/Stat C100)1
Stat 131A and
|2.||Human Contexts & Ethics||AMERST/AFRICAM C134, DIGHUM 100, INFO 188, ISF 100J, HIST C184D/STS C104, PHILOS 121, BIO ENG 100, CY PLAN 101, ESPM C167/PBHLTH C160||
AMERST/AFRICAM C134, DIGHUM 100, INFO 188, ISF 100J, HIST C184D/STS C104, PHILOS 121, BIO ENG 100, CY PLAN 101, ESPM C167/PBHLTH C160
Choose TWO from the approved electives list
|Choose ONE from the approved electives list|
1. The Data 100 pathway requires mathematical experience/competence equivalent to at least 2 semesters of calculus and some linear algebra.
2. The Statistics pathway requires mathematical experience/competence equivalent to at least 1 semester of calculus.
- All courses for the minor must be taken for a letter grade.
- Students must earn a C- or better in each course, and have a minimum 2.0 GPA in all courses towards the minor.
- Students may overlap up to 1 course in the upper division for the Data Science minor with each of their majors (for example, a Computer Science major may count COMPSCI/STAT C100 toward both their major and the Data Science minor).
- A maximum of one course offered by or cross-listed with the student’s major department(s) may count toward the data science minor upper-division requirements, including any overlapping course (for example, if a Computer Science major takes COMPSCI/STAT C100 toward the Data Science minor, this is the only Computer Science or EECS course which may count toward the minor).
- An upper-division course used to fulfill a lower-division requirement (for example, Stat 134 to fulfill the probability requirement) will not be counted toward the maximum 1 course allowed to overlap with the major, nor will it fulfill one of the four upper division course requirements.
- There is no restriction on overlap with another minor.
Frequently Asked Questions
I've advanced beyond Data 8. Will the “grandfathered” substitution option for the major also be accepted for the minor?
For students admitted to UC Berkeley as freshmen prior to Fall 2018 or as transfers prior to Fall 2019, we allow a "grandfathered" option to substitute for Data 8 in the minor if both courses are completed no later than Summer 2019:
Stat 20, 21, 131A or 135 and
CS 61A or ENGIN 7
Stat 131A or 135 may not be used toward both the Data 8 substitution and the upper-division requirements in the minor.
I already completed one or more of the courses for the minor on a Pass/Not Pass basis before Fall 2019. Will they be accepted?
We will accept up to 2 courses completed with a Pass prior to Fall 2019 toward the Data Science minor, of which 1 may be upper-division. Courses completed with a Pass in Fall 2019 or later will not be accepted toward the minor.
What kind of priority (if any) will Data Science minors receive for enrollment in classes for the minor?
- Currently, there are no plans to provide priority enrollment in any courses for Data Science minors, as a minor is not required to graduate.
Is there a minimum GPA requirement to declare the minor?
- There is no minimum GPA to declare the minor, but you will need to earn a minimum 2.0 overall GPA in the minor in order to have it conferred at graduation.
Where does the minor appear on my student record?
- Once declared, the Data Science minor will appear on your CalCentral dashboard and Academic Progress Report.
- Once completed and verified, the Data Science minor will appear on your UC Berkeley transcript. Minors do not appear on the diploma.
What happens if I declare the minor but don’t finish the requirements by the end of my final semester?
If you know that you will not complete the requirements for the Data Science minor, please notify a Data Science advisor to have the minor removed from your student record prior to graduation.
If you do not complete the requirements and do not submit a Minor Completion Form by Friday of RRR week in your final term, the minor will be automatically dropped and you will be graduated without the minor. If you wish to change your graduation date to a future term in order to complete the minor, you must notify your College Advisor before Friday of RRR week. Note that a minor does not entitle a student to an extra semester, or an exception to the L&S unit ceiling.
Who should I ask if I have more questions about the minor?
- Review other frequently asked questions and answers on our Data 001 Piazza page, or post one.
- If you have questions about choosing classes for the minor, please see the Data Science Peer Advisors during their drop-in advising hours at Moffitt Library.
- If you have questions about enrolling in a specific course, please contact the instructor or department offering the course.